Monday 29 September 2014

A Letter From the English Teacher

We were thrilled to receive a letter from the English teacher last week (see below), who we began to employ in February.  He gives English lessons at our school and also teaches our village children twice a week on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings on the beach where they live.  We joined his lessons a couple of times in February. 

When we returned to Sri Lanka in July, the weather was not always as kind and there was a monsoon sea which had covered half the beach.  We quickly realised that we would need to look for an alternative classroom so that the children could enjoy their English lessons uninterrupted.  There was a Tsunami-damaged house next door to where our friend, the fisherman Udaya lives.  We paid for 6 months’ rent and Udaya and his friends turned it into a classroom.  We were absolutely thrilled to receive pictures this past weekend which showed the transition and the teacher in class. We cannot wait to see him in action during our visit in November.  

The original beach 'classroom'
The new classroom
The new classroom in action!



"Hi

How are you. I hope you both are very well. I’m writing this  letter  to thank you for the great help that you have done .At first we started the English class on the beach with the help of yours. Then I had to teach to the students who are really poor and innocent in a hut which was on the beach .That hut was used by fishermen who live in the area. So sometimes when I went there , their fishing nets and fish boxes were everywhere .In that dilapidated hut we could not bear the nauseous smell that comes from the decomposed fish remains .At the end of a short and worst period we have been given a very nice class room by you. Although I wanted to thank you at the same time ,since I was busy with my students every day, I  couldn’t send you an email .I apologize for my delay. 


As I explained you I had another problem also. Since I didn’t have a way to show my students the international pronunciation way , It was difficult to make them to understand what the foreigners are telling. Then although they can express their ideas in English when they feel it’s difficult to understand what they say , they are afraid to go ahead and continue communication.
As you really know the pronunciation way of Sri Lankans and the native speakers like you is different .Of course it is because when we use a second language we have some effects of mother tongue. I’ve seen it everywhere when I was in abroad.

I’m not trying to push my students to  speak  like you. If we need so they should live in your society among native speakers but I really need to improve them to understand what you say for that I needed  to show the way that native speakers speak.  As  always you are here to help us as a blessing from God you had sent money to buy a multi projector .You will see the improvement when you come next time.

-        Ishan Gamage  -
-        The English teacher
-        Sri Lanka."


No comments:

Post a Comment